Wednesday, April 9, 2008

BA #3 Blackbird

The play Blackbird is essentially an opening up of the secrets which Ray and Una have been holding off all the years between the affair and their reunion at Ray's workplace. They may have had to have been required to share some aspects of their secrets. Ray was forced to be exposed; he was arrested and sentenced. Una's family did not help with her in keeping her secret. She said,
"I had suspicious
suspiciously adult yearnings.
When my mother told me that I didn't know what she meant
And we never moved house.
They
To, shame me.
To punish me.
So I'd be pointed at." She had wanted to keep what happened a secret at this point, but she had no choice.

In meeting together again, where the play is set, Ray and Una keep secrets from each other about their lives. For instance, Ray says that he told his wife,
"That when I was forty I had
I had an illegal relationship.
I had sex with a minor," but Una works out of him later that he had never actually told her about the affair, or if he did, he didn't tell her it involved a twelve year old girl for a period of three months.

One other important secret which is mentioned is that Una never tells her current boyfriend about Ray. She says,
"No.
I didn't tell him.
I've never told him.
I didn't want to.
I liked him too much." This secret shows that Una has some shame in what happened. While this shame is pretty normal for a rape victim, The way which Una comes on to Ray in the end makes it seem as if maybe she was keeping this secret from her current boyfriend because she felt like it was a real relationship outside of theirs which he should not know about. It, in a kind of way, evidences that maybe Una really did have feelings for Ray. It is not particularly strong evidence, but at least it's a thought.

No comments: